Friday, March 19, 2021

A Decade in the Desert


The desert sands have adopted me,
tolerated my angst, 
bereaved my sadness, 
clung my pensiveness,
permeated my laughter across the grainy terrain. 
Watched my transition from the four's to five's 
the zero hitch- hiking a ride on the numbers 
like my daughter as a child perched on her Dad's shoulders.

The pervading exotic scents have nurtured me, 
the kohl-eyed distant faces, 
the flowing dishdashas, 
adjacent barbeques on the milky beaches 
the blue waters splashing us equally. 
The familiar majboos, the hummus,the suleimani 
cradle my  nomadic senses. 

The wafting shishas, the intimate smiles have mollycoddled me,
the cool slumbery nights, the peals of laughter,
and the  stubbled  greeting tingle my Bedouin soul
The apprehensive long drives, 
the raging white cars,
the  hoodwinking mirages,
and the canopy of blistering degrees 
all dug somewhere in sands of my heart.. 

Strolling camels and the sand dunes whisper 
You are ours now. 
 I am no more the horizon
 I am an accepted wave in their sea of black and white.

No comments:

Post a Comment