Friday, September 10, 2021

LEASE

We are one, we were born at the same time,

Then why have you separated and cast me aside?

Look in to my eyes just once, I am just like you

All my senses a replica of yours

I feel the same angst as you.


Who gave you the right to decide my destiny

When will my lease end? 

I do not intend to be borrowed, owned or rented

Suffocated, choking, I have forgotten to breathe

What harm have I caused you?



I give you birth, nurture you, 

fulfill all your desires till my last breath.

Do not make me feel ashamed of myself

Every time, I try to take a shape,

You decide my destiny

Even before the umbilical cord is cut


When you can own yourself, why not me?

I wish to breathe the same air as you

and have ownership of my mind and body.

Why should I be cloaked from head to toe

and not step out of the house

just because you have no control over yourself?


It is my body, why cannot I wear what I want 

and choose what I want to do in my life?

Do you feel a threat from me?

Is it why you want to cage me indoors?


Believe me, my mind functions

it knows how to choose, it can decide for itself.

I did not ask to be a woman

But yes, I am proud having born as one


I love this country as much as you do

Give me back my keys of freedom, oh man

The lock has rusted, yet I will keep trying 

Let me be my own owner for once.
























No comments:

Post a Comment