Wednesday, April 14, 2021

PATIENCE

 It's been half an hour since I tried to switch on my laptop, but today it decided to test my patience. It froze like the last few pieces of  ice cubes stuck on the ice tray.  However, some aspects were in my favour today. The weather outside and inside are very pleasant,  the view outside my window  absolutely refreshing with swaying trees full of clusters of pink flowers luring me to give them  undivided attention. 

Today is the start of the month of Ramadan and my husband came back home by midday. He is seated on the chair opposite me working on his laptop finishing pending office work.  My daughter is lying on the adjacent sofa enjoying her short lunch break. My indoor weather would not have been so beautiful had  they not been here with me. 

This day is also the Telugu new year's day, Ugadi. I had decided in the morning to wear a new saree, cook some traditional delicacies to bring some festive cheer amidst the looming pandemic gloom. Any positive habit if initiated on a new year's day tends to be more long lasting. This is an age old  belief that runs in India. And I have been deliberating over for some days to make writing a daily habit. What better time than after the afternoon siesta. Nevertheless, my laptop still seems in her afternoon catnap zone, declining to wake up despite my persistence to reboot it again and again.

 I sat down today determined to write about my innate thoughts on issues which have been visiting and filling my empty mind, since years, sometimes even doubting whether its all right  to bare myself in my blog or do I worry that I will be judged if I write about every notion in my head. Yet here I am having got an unexpected opportunity to practice patience, another positive trait, I need to work on. Sitting inside the confines of my dining hall, I watch the pink flowers outside growing in bunches at the end of each delicate stem, looking  absolutely rapturous. They seem to be swaying south responding to the call of the lovely breeze.

Eventually, my laptop turned on, having tested me for quite sometime and so here I am scribbling on my just found ability to be patient. Thirty minutes just flew by, without me fidgeting or itching to get up and do something. Was it the indoor and outdoor weather, or the lovely floral view or am I well rested? This half hour of wait is a gentle reminder from now on to learn to loose the decade old tag  'impatient'. That word has often been used by my family, since childhood and I am wholeheartedly  responsible for it. I have  exhibited all signs of irritation or impatience in most situations which caused me the slightest of discomfort. 

Not to be preachy and sound abrupt, but yeah would I still be able to maintain my composure for half an hour if it was hot and sultry, or if I was tired or hungry? I will have more occasions to try it out, but for the moment, I have something to smile about.

No comments:

Post a Comment